Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Valentine Bandit Strikes Again

Growing up it was our family tradition that each Valentine's Day the Valentine Bandit would leave presents on our doorstep. Sometime during the day, we would hear a knock at the door and the doorbell would be run repeatedly. My sister and I would race to the front door, fling it open, leap over the gifts, and rush out into the yard in an attempt to capture the ever-elusive Bandit.

When I went to college, the Valentine Bandit found his way to whatever apartment I was living in, but this time he just sent a lovely bouquet of flowers. And now that I am married and have my own little family, a new Bandit has joined their ranks and once again visited our house this past V-day and brought some gifts for Connor.

This past year C had his birthday, and then came September (when most of the rest of the DeLucas were born), and then soon shortly after was Christmas. So he has gotten pretty used to the idea that every month or so he gets some presents. When we explained what the Valentine Bandit was, he started to ask every day if it was Valentine's Day. And when the doorbell finally rang, I wish I had taken a picture of the look of pure excitement that was on his face. This is what he found.


Then we went for a little visit to my parents house...and wouldn't you know a Valentine Bandit showed up there, too. Can you tell that C likes "Lie-Queen" (aka Lightning McQueen)?

And now, he asks every day when the Easter Bunny is coming.

7 comments:

LewisMcLaughlinFamily said...

Isn't it great when they start to understand things. My kids are always counting down until the next holiday. Not necessarily for the gifts but just for the excitement it involves. Sean has been counting down to his birthday since before Christmas. Unfortunately, he still has more than two months to go. The Valentine Bandit sounds like a lot of fun. We don't really do much around here for V-Day.

Davis and Carter's Mommy said...

So fun! What a great tradition! I love Lie-Queen, my kiddos call him A-chow--like the sound that he makes. :)

The Welborn Family said...

I vaguely remember you and Alyssa raving about the Valentine Bandit back in the day. So fun! Glad to know Kai isn't the only child spoiled every other month or so. I love that he is asking about the Easter bunny already! Love you!

Lynnie said...

dude, nathan is a bit obsessed with "lightnin car" too. i got him a few undies with them on it and then a whole bunch with thomas and he's always demanding the "lightnin cawr" undies. boys.

Anonymous said...

I was hit by the Valentine Bandit for the first time this year...And my mother had to call me and tell me that the VB had delivered it to the wrong apartment and that I should go pick it up. But she obviously didn't deliver it, as she's in Arizona. Is this something that our mothers all grew up with? I like it! :)

Heather said...

What a FUN idea...I'm so excited to have your blog to follow now too! And I'm excited to hear you two are going to be adopting...YAY!

Laura Jansson said...

I'm so glad you found our blog! I love the idea of the "Valentine Bandit"!! And, I'm excited about you guys adopting! I hope and pray that things will go smoothly for you, and that a sweet little spirit joins your family soon!