Monday, April 20, 2009

The Letter

I am having a little trouble. I am supposed to be working on our "Letter to the Birthparents" for the adoption, but I am having trouble. Not because I don't know what to say, but because there is so much to say. I guess I'm glad the birthparent is not here to talk to in person just yet until we can get our thoughts together in this letter, because I'd probably overwhelm them telling them all about how we're happy and excited, and Connor wants to be a big brother and asks when the baby is coming, and about our home and our awesome and supportive family, and the things that make us laugh and what's been hard for us.

I know we're not perfect parents, but we provide Connor with lots and lots of love and support, and will of course do the same for our other children. We are soooooooooo excited to add to our family, but finding the right words to convey that to someone else is just a little hard. I want this letter not to be too cheesy, but the truth....well the truth is cheesy. The truth is that the love of a parent for a child is one of the very strongest bonds there is...and therefore describing it is just going to sound a little cheesy I guess. I want the birthparents to have the opportunity to get to know us, and then they'd know! They'd know how much we will cherish their child and what an opportunity it is to have their baby become a part of our lives. But...I guess it's not really feasible for them to get to know every birth couple intimately. So, I guess we'll just do our best and know that the baby that is meant to come to our family will come...and we'll love them forever.

Okay, I'm ready to start again. Wanna get some progress made before Adam gets home to help.

3 comments:

Lyssa said...

I love you.

The Welborn Family said...

Sounds like you've got a good start to your letter right here! Don't stress, just let it happen. :)

katie said...

i know i'm a little late on the comment for this one, but from my opposite point of view, the best thing i could advise would be to write honestly and openly, and it will become a natural statement of love on its own without you even trying. your story is touching and any birthmother would want to give you their child. i know i would! love you bunches:)